Undergoing gastroscopy and colonoscopy aim to check for the presence of certain health problems inside the stomach or colon, and the endoscopy is done by means of a thin flexible tube called an endoscope.
The endoscope is inserted into the esophagus, colon, or the so-called upper digestive tract for the doctor to monitor the condition of the stomach via a small camera connected to a monitor through which the doctor sees the situation inside, but you see when the doctor decides to undergo the patient to gastroscopy and colonoscopy That’s what we’ll find out and more between those lines.
Gastroscopy and colonoscopy:
We can say that gastroscopy and colonoscopy is the procedure that a doctor resorts to to find out why a particular symptom occurs.
Symptoms that call for gastroscopy:
- Difficulty swallowing.
- Abnormal bleeding.
- Pain in the stomach.
- Low levels of iron in the body.
Symptoms that require a colonoscopy:
- Constant stomach pain.
- Unexplained weight loss.
- Diarrhea or persistent constipation.
- Note the presence of blood in the stool.
Diseases related to gastroscopy:
Gastroscopy and colonoscopy help detect some diseases.
Gastroscopy is a fast and safe examination method for detecting:
- Stomach ulcers.
- Reflux esophagitis.
- Varicose veins of the esophagus.
- Tumors of the stomach, liver, duodenum.
- Gallstones. gallstones.
A colonoscopy reveals:
- Tumors of the colon.
- Changes in the intestines.
- The percentage of the tumor and the extent of its spread in the colon.
Is it possible to perform a gastroscopy and colonoscopy with
The gastroscopy procedure requires some preparations such as abstaining from eating for at least 8 hours before the endoscopy procedure, as well as the colonoscopy procedure requires preparing the patient, but in the end, it is subject to the surgeon’s vision, there is nothing to prevent this, but the patient must be well prepared for both types.
Related: laparoscopic operation
Steps of the gastroscopy and colonoscopy procedure:
The procedure of gastroscopy and colonoscopy takes no more than 20 minutes, all it takes is to insert the tube into the stomach from the mouth or into the colon through the rectum.
- The patient must perform the necessary tests and examinations to ensure that the doctor stabilizes his health condition.
- Preparation for gastroscopy should be done by stopping eating for at least 8 hours before the procedure itself.
- The patient is under local throat anesthesia and may require taking some sedatives according to the doctor’s opinion.
- The doctor begins to insert the tube (endoscope) into the furthest throat so that the camera rests in the stomach.
- After the end of the examination, the patient moves to his room until he regains his attention and wakes up from the effect of the anesthetic.
- The patient does not feel pain and can restore normal activity as soon as he is discharged from the hospital.
- The patient must take the necessary tests and analyses.
- The patient is prepared for the operation according to the doctor’s instructions.
- The patient lies on his side and the endoscope tube is inserted into the anus passing through the rectum.
- The endoscope finally settles on the part to be examined, and the doctor checks well.
- When the doctor notices any abnormal situation that indicates the presence of a vein, a sample is taken for pathological diagnosis.
- The doctor takes out the endoscope slowly and the patient remains in his own room until completely awakening.
Is gastroscopy painful
Gastroscopy and colonoscopy are painless in themselves; however, the patient may feel uncomfortable during the procedure and this feeling will soon go away.
What is the cost of a colonoscopy?
The cost of gastroscopy and colonoscopy varies from center to center and from surgeon to surgeon depending on:
- The doctor’s experience.
- The level of medical care provided.
- The patient’s state of Health.
The best center for gastroscopy and colonoscopy
Elite care clinics are one of the best medical centers where you can perform gastrointestinal endoscopy, where:
- Elite care clinics have a distinguished medical team to diagnose colon and stomach diseases.
- It provides the best level of medical care on Egyptian soil with international standards.
- The latest binoculars unit with international specifications.
Elite care clinics work to provide all means of comfort to patients by providing a distinguished level of service at an excellent price.